Memories of liver go way back to my childhood. Liverwurst sausage that my dad loved so much, pan fried chicken livers with mushrooms, pates and many other mouth watering dishes.
It is really a shame to see liver from any animal go to waste, simply because people these days don’t seem to appreciate the nutritional value of it. Liver is packed with vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid, and minerals such as iron and copper. All of these nutrients are powerful helpers when it comes to detoxifying your body.
3 Tbs grass fed butter
¼ cup tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
2-3 shallots, thinly sliced
½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest
8 oz raw chicken livers, well trimmed
3 Tbs brandy
1 Tbs fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh tarragon
½ cup heavy cream (from grass fed cows)
Sea salt and black pepper
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the apple, shallots and lemon zest. Sauté for 4 minutes or until the apples and shallots are soft.
- Add the liver, brandy, thyme, and tarragon – increase the heat to medium. Cook for about 5-7 min. or until the liquid evaporates and the liver is not pink inside.
- Transfer to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the softened butter and process until smooth.
- Whip the cream with a electric mixer in a large bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form. Season with salt and pepper. Raise the speed to high and beat until the peaks are almost firm but not stiff.
- Fold the liver pate slowly and gently into the whipped cream until well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 mins before serving.
- Enjoy on fresh sourdough bread, or sliced vegetables.